It’s important to know who to notify when you move. Make a list of everyone to notify about your change of address so that you don’t miss any important communications or services.

Post Office

First, fill out a change of address with the United States Postal Service. This way, all mail gets forwarded to your new address while you’re in the process of updating it with all relevant parties.

The IRS is Important to Notify When You Move

The Internal Revenue Service needs to know where you live. Luckily, they have made it easy to notify them when you move. Just fill out Form 8822 and you’ll have this one completed easily.


Don’t forget about the Department of Motor Vehicles. Check out the DMV website for your particular state. Most states allow you to make this change online without needing to visit the DMV.

Voter Registration

Get this done sooner than later so you’re eligible to vote in your new district. There are a few different ways to do this; just get all your required documents together

Utilities to Notify When You Move

As you’re thinking through who to notify when you move, make a checklist of all your utilities. Your utilities should be scheduled to be shut off the day you move out and turned on at your new place a day or two before moving in. You don’t want to move into your new home without water or electricity working.

Here is a list of utilities to get changed over:

  • Natural Gas
  • Electricity
  • Sewer
  • Internet
  • Water
  • Propane
  • Phone
  • Satellite or cable
  • Home security system
  • Waste disposal

Don’t Forget Your Banks

Make sure your bank knows about the move so statements are sent to the new address. Let any companies holding your investments know, too. Update your checks so they display the correct address. 

Your credit card companies need to know about your move so that statements and bills reach you on time.


Check with your existing medical providers about getting records transferred to your new practices. Do this immediately so your first visit goes smoothly. Here are some medical providers to notify when you move:

  • Primary doctor
  • Pediatrician
  • Dentist
  • Chiropractor
  • Pharmacy
  • Veterinarian
  • Specialists

Insurance Firms

Get in contact with your auto insurance company to find out whether they provide coverage in the area you’re moving to. Find out if this will affect the type of coverage you have and your monthly premiums.

Notify your life, dental, and health insurance companies about your new address. Your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy won’t transfer to the new location, so you will need a new policy for your new home.

Notify Schools When You Move

If your kids are changing to a new school district, make sure the new school has the records they need so they can settle in with no problems.

It takes planning when you’re thinking about who to notify when you move. Simply go through the above list until you have everyone notified.

Cowan Inspections Group provides home inspection services for homebuyers and sellers. Contact us if you are moving to or from the Park City area.